I’ve got just the info you’re needing today! If you want salon quality hair at home, guess what is the number 1 thing you need to do?
You guessed it! USE SALON QUALITY PRODUCTS, recommended by your stylist for your individual hair type, texture and qualms. Yes, it’s literally that simple… and then wash your hair correctly. All of the things ill brush over in the next couple paragraphs, so take a seat, lets get into it.
How much money do you spend at the salon? I’m guessing on average at least $150 every 8-12 weeks… and then do you go to target and spend $12 on shampoo??? Girl. You just wasted that other $138, by using products that contain garbage ingredients like, sulfates and silicones which can do damage to your hair and can be detrimental to your health. Silicone is the ingredient that gets your hair that super shine you see on commercials for drugstore products, you know exactly what I’m talking about, and unfortunately over time it will build up on the hair shaft creating a literal plastic layer on your hair that prevents anything from getting in or out. Your color will have a hard time diving into the hair, lightener will have a hard time lifting your hair and your hair will lack moisture because it is unable to absorb anything good for it due to the artificial plastic coating it now has. So, using drug store products filled with garbage, will not only make your hair unhealthy, but it will affect the quality of future hair appointments and prevent your stylist from being able to create your dream hair. Bummer, right?!
You can get an incredible, clean, salon quality product for around $30 per product, which is honestly not much more than the crap your buying at target. Think about that, what can you buy for $18 (the difference between drugstore products and professional products)? Maybe 3 coffees. So, for 3 coffees, you can have truly healthy hair, that will look bomb long after your salon appointment AND will enable you to get your dream hair easier!
My favorite products are Oway; a super clean, organic and biodynamic, fair trade, high performance plant-based hair care line. All of their products are SLS/SLES free/ Paraben free/ Petrolatum free/ PPG, PED, BG free/ EDTA free/ Synthetic fragrance free/ Synthetic colorants free. Oway always replaces those ingredients with ones that are less aggressive towards our skin, health and environment, because they truly care about their impact. Oway is conscious about everything from manufacturing, to packaging to shipping and packages all of their products in glass or aluminum, 100% recyclable for an infinite number of times, with huge savings in energy and raw materials and less CO2 and greenhouse gas emissions. Can your drugstore products claim any of this? I doubt it.
Oway sounds amazing right?! Well, that’s because it truly is, and the line is so comprehensive, it has a product for each one of your hair care needs. So, where to start? I recommend all of my clients to start with a hair bath, conditioner or mask, the glossy nectar drops and the plant and mineral refresh. This is going to be your best intro kit in clean hair care, and I’ll explain why below in my instructions for the best at home hair…
Here we go, my actual instructions for how to have bomb ass hair at home!
- Use the products prescribed by your stylist for your hair type.
2. Shampoo twice. Yes, ya heard me. Twice. The first wash is to break down all the oils, debris, and pollutants our hair absorb and this first wash probably won’t suds up very much. Rinse this first round of shampoo out completely and do it again to get a true, sudsy, squeaky clean.
3. Only shampoo at the roots + scalp of your hair. And like, all of it. Make sure you’re parting your hair down the back and getting the nape of your hair. If you shampoo correctly the suds should build up enough that the rinse out through the ends will “wash” your mids to ends.
4. Do not put conditioner on your scalp. Our scalp makes its own oils, we don’t need to be adding to that.
5. Don’t wash your hair every day. Instead, use a high quality nontoxic dry shampoo, like the @owayorganics plant and mineral refresh, and make sure you’re brushing your hair 2x daily from roots to ends to distribute all those healthy oils our body produces naturally.
6. Moisturize your hair morning and night (yes, just like our skin!) with a high quality non-toxic restorative oil, like the @owayorganics glossy nectar to keep your hair soft + healthy.
And last, but certainly not least, after you’ve got your salon quality products and you’re washing your hair correctly you need the tools to get that salon bombshell blow out, right?! I’ve got just the tool for you! I’ve been recommending all my clients the Hottools air brush. It is a blow-dryer and brush combo, and it makes getting a voluminous, yet smooth blowout at home a breeze! Make sure to check it out, you will not regret this purchase, promise.
So, what products are you missing from your daily hair care?! Let me know and let’s get you set up for bomb salon hair on the daily!